This week I have been working on the last parts of Cloud Pub. I started off by finishing the stage lighting, these lights are turned on and off by clicking on the light.
I then moved onto the roof lighting, I had planned to make these lights work on a sensor so they would turn off when nobody was in the pub. However after hours of trying different scripting methods I was still unable to get this to work, the closest I could get was that the light could only be turned on when the avatar was within 5 meters which was pointless so I removed it.
Because off the amount of time I had spent on these lights I had now run out of time to try get create a smoke machine using the particle system. I also ran out of time to finish my seating for the table and chairs area, as this script was a lot harder to create than the bar stools because of the rotation.
I am not entirely surprised that I did not get everything finished from my initial plan, as I had done such a minimal amount of scripting before this build that I was unaware how complex some of the scripting could be. Looking back on my initial build plan I probably should have gone with a smaller and less complicated build, this is because I spent a lot of time just working with the prims and texturing and I underestimated the amount of time scripting would take.
I believe I have meet most of my learning goals that I had set myself at the begging of this assignment but still definitely have room for improvement. At the start of this build I still really struggled with aligning prims, it took me a very long time to create the initial walls, floor and roof deleting everything and restarting multiple times trying different methods. Now I find this a lot easier to do after using the build tool so much, and I have also learnt a lot about manipulating prims to make the shape needed.
The thing I struggle with the most is still scripting, I did not finish all the scripting I had planned to for the pub. The sensor system I could not get to work the way I wanted as I talked about above, and the same with the music. If I had owned the land I was building on I could have got the music to work through streaming in the land preferences, but since SL limits you to a 10 second sound on a prim which cost $L10 to upload this wasn’t suitable for music playing in the pub. However, I did get some things like seating, lighting, chat message, content passed to avatar and the doors to work.
Even though I did not manage to get everything 100% working for this build, I am still fairly happy with the way it turned out. I didn’t quite meet all the requirements I had chosen for the build like the sensor and particle system, but I think I have meet everything else as well as ones that weren’t planned on like animated textures for the sign. Overall I have learnt a lot through this build and vastly improved my building skills and knowledge, I also feel like I have a better understanding of SL itself and a greater appreciation for what people have created.